Dudes Doing Dude Stuff
Dudes Doing Dude Stuff
Dudes Doing Dude Stuff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dudes Doing Dude Stuff

An exclusive internet hangout for the discerning modern gentleman.

HomePortalLatest imagesLog inRegister

The lost art of the bachelor pad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
itsjustcavan
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
itsjustcavan

The lost art of the bachelor pad  Empty
PostSubject: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I do happen to drool over bits of vintage interior design, especially the elusive, well designed apartment/condo of the single 20-30 something male we've come to know as "the bachelor pad"

The bachelor pad should be something that speaks of a cultured adult male, not some dribbling oaf who requires a helmet on and off the field. hi-fi systems, slick furniture, art, babes, probably booze, or at least beer (proper beer, not some bottom shelf kegerator of natty ice.) Overall, it should also speak of good design, and the thought process that comes with it.

it should be more (60'S)PLAYBOY, and less MAXIM.
it should be more GQ, less ESPN.
it should be more Bang & Olufson, less Sony X-plOd

it should probably look something like this.>>>>>>

The lost art of the bachelor pad  2411824009_5ff8f0eb4f

or maybe this>>>>>>>

The lost art of the bachelor pad  2243928231_0fa42eb2a1_o

I for one am quick to dismiss anyone who utters the words "man cave" in describing their hangout. typically i assume (correctly) that by this, they mean some disgustingly decorated dingy room painted in the colors of their favorite (american) foot ball team, stripes & decals included, full of hideously obese furniture that reminiscent of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man's carcass turned upholstery for the tragically uncultured man-boy and his cohorts. A "man" cave is typically the underutilized space of a home where said man is delegated to his last refuge.

typically, i assume they're speaking of things like this.>>>>>>>>>
The lost art of the bachelor pad  Cowboys2
....I think this should speak for itself in the scale of awful that it radiates, but i have a hard time not exclaiming, "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS."

The lost art of the bachelor pad  Man_caves_harley

Shit like this needs to die a harsh death. that place looks like if Guy Fieri was a room.

Good design is worth fighting for. enough is enough.

[EDIT:] i forgot to post these two articles along with the post. there are a lot of cool visuals on these two links. be sure to click through.>>

BACK TO THE FUTURE | A RETRO HI FI IN A DARK & COZY MAN CAVE
http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/back-to-the-future-a-retro-hi-fi-in-a-dark-cozy-man-cave/

The Bachelor Pad: Myths and Reality
http://inequalitybyinteriordesign.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/the-bachelor-pad-myths-and-reality/
Back to top Go down
StrawCity
CHILL DUDE
StrawCity

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:45 pm

The bachelor pad and man caves are on two completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Bachelor pads are owned by men who understand that after dinner/a show/ drinks, you need a completely innocent reason for a girl to come up to your pad to do completely flithy things.

Man caves are owned by men who want endless distraction. A place where you don't actually have to get to know anyone or entertain them with your thoughts or experiences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawcitydesign.com
itsjustcavan
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
itsjustcavan

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm

StrawCity wrote:
You need a completely innocent reason for a girl to come up to your pad to do completely flithy things.
This is very well phrased. hahah.

StrawCity wrote:
Man caves are owned by men who want endless distraction.
This is truth. a wife/kids escape where they can sit under a beer brand neon and watch bullshit tv in the last sanctuary they have. maybe if their interests werent shit beer and awful decorum they could live in the rest of the home as well. #sad
Back to top Go down
mikesir
CRESS
mikesir

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 4:18 pm

truth to this. i think, as you stated, the key to having a classy dude domain is the requirement(loosely) of having a good combination of vintage/ classy furniture and decor with technology interlaced.

i think a great step towards this would be modding cheap tablets into wall mounted control systems to monitor/change media playing, temperature, lighting etc. perfect example of doing this on a smaller scale is the wifi thermostat system http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical-home-automation-security-home-automation-climate-control/filtrete-7-day-touchscreen-wifi-enabled-programmable-thermostat-with-backlight-182800.html.

an ideal situation is having a lady over and your place being able to speak volumes of your greatness without you having to brag or bring it up. show your art, show your interests, show your talents. pick em up, bring em home, let your awesomeness speak for itself.
Back to top Go down
itsjustcavan
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
CHANCELLOR/D∆NK ALUMNI
itsjustcavan

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 5:23 pm

mikesir wrote:
.... an ideal situation is having a lady over and your place being able to speak volumes of your greatness without you having to brag or bring it up.
The lost art of the bachelor pad  Ron-burgundy_scotch

Ron Burgundy wrote:
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
Back to top Go down
StrawCity
CHILL DUDE
StrawCity

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Quote :
maybe if their interests werent shit beer and awful decorum they could live in the rest of the home as well.

the worst is when girls make shit beer and footbaall their interests too. it really bums me out when I see girls playing beer pong with their boyfriends and when the girls make a shot, her BF daps her up like one of his neanderthal bros.

edit: #startemyoung
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawcitydesign.com
walker tuscan raider
DUDE
walker tuscan raider

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 am

As a bachelor with a pad I would like to add that it is not all about the level of class your place exudes but rather how much of your personality comes through your digs. Obviously I would like an antique globe that opens up to reveal a small bar, perfect overhead lighting over my easy chair, and a fire place I can turn on by remote, but those things are fantasy at this point in my life. For instance, my coffee table was free from a friend and is covered in stickers; those stickers have proven to be conversation pieces. This same table was falling apart and was easily fixed with the strategic placement of a ratchet strap.
Good as new, ~*freegan life*~

My place to me says resourceful, comfortable, and organized. Almost everything I own has a story behind it.

What do you think your pad says about you? why? cite examples.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The lost art of the bachelor pad    The lost art of the bachelor pad  Empty

Back to top Go down

The lost art of the bachelor pad
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dudes Doing Dude Stuff :: THE LOUNGE-
Jump to: